College Features

College: Midseason All-True Freshman Team

UCF attacker McKenna Melville started off hot and has yet to cool off

PrepVolleyball.com takes a look at those true freshmen making the biggest impact thus far in 2018 on the Division I collegiate volleyball landscape. The team consists of one setter, one libero, one right side, two outsides and two middles.

You must login to view this article or subscribe to PrepVolleyball.com! Annual subscriptions start at just $1.87/month!

If you are already a member, please click here to login.

7 Comments

7 Comments

1. sosocal

sosocal

October 11, 2018 at 9:33 am

I think you forgot to consider at least one. Rachel Ahrens is hitting for a higher percentage than all 14 you considered at OH or RS, with more kills than 9 of them.

2. John Tawa

John Tawa

October 11, 2018 at 2:20 pm

I didn’t forget about Rachel at all and watched her play at Portland when the Waves knocked UP from the unbeaten ranks. Of the outsides I listed, all but one plays for a PrepVolleyball.com nationally-ranked team and the one who doesn’t, Charley Niego, has a few more kills than Rachel AND was ACC POW once.

As an aside, one of my biggest pet peeves is the suggestion that I “forgot” or “overlooked” someone. When I make a list like this, I can promise you that it does not come off the top of my head. In this case, my coaching panel had the opportunity to review, made additions and suggested changes. This is the product of our collaborative effort.

3. sosocal

sosocal

October 12, 2018 at 4:37 pm

“all but one plays for a PrepVolleyball.com nationally-ranked team”

Fair enough, if that is one of your unstated but firm rules.

The problem is that 6 players mentioned were not from teams on your top 64, not just one. One was from a sub-200 RPI team and 5 were on your teams that just missed, the same place you put Pepperdine. Not being on a PrepVolleyball.com nationally-ranked team was clearly not the reason she wasn’t considered.

4. John Tawa

John Tawa

October 15, 2018 at 6:38 am

Why do you want to argue with me about MY intent?

The problem with your comment is you counter a point I did not attempt to make. I confined my focus to the outsides to explain why Rachel was a “just missed” in that category. The other players you brought up play other positions that had fewer standouts.

5. sosocal

sosocal

October 15, 2018 at 2:24 pm

I never argued about your intent. I have no idea what is your intent, and don’t really care.

I didn’t ask you for an explanation of your methodology and frankly wouldn’t have bothered calling you on it if you had not gone out of your way to be intentionally rude in your first response.

Trying to split hairs and confine to just OHs fails for 3 reasons. First, one of the OHs is already not in your top 64, second, the player in question is primarily an Opp not an OH, and there are 2 more players in the same situation named as Opps, and third, it is patently absurd to say it matters to be on a top 64 team for an OH but not for a libero. It either matters or it doesn’t. It is either a consideration or it is not.

Again, I don’t really care how you pick, and I don’t know this particular girl in any way and am not a fan of her school. I didn’t appreciate your rude initial response, but I do find your attempts to continue to defend your initial explanation kind of amusing.

6. bmsocal

bmsocal

October 15, 2018 at 7:53 pm

Just when this comment thread was getting good and I went for the popcorn it died out. Round 3 TKO?

7. John Tawa

John Tawa

October 16, 2018 at 1:49 pm

It’s not worth getting worked up over. My friend, Tim Cooper, passed away this week; this no longer became important. Everyone reading this should know that NO LIST or RECOGNITION I put my name to at Prep comes off the top of my head. There is always input, always thought. People are not overlooked or forgotten, except in the minds of their advocates. And I get that. I would advocate for my kids, too.