Going through the new Top 25 rankings, there’s been a change at the top.
Taking over at No. 1 is Ferris State, which stands at 8-0. Starting the preseason at No. 17, Ferris State jumps above the rest on the strength of victories over Concordia St. Paul and Southwest Minnesota State, which were Nos. 1 and 2 respectively in our preseason rankings.
Making a major move this week is South Carolina-Aiken, which is also undefeated and owns a victory over Palm Beach Atlantic. The Paces climb all the way to No. 3. Another program joining the Top 10 for the first time is Winona State.
The Warriors were left outside the preseason Top 25, but land at No. 7 after opening up 6-1. Their only loss so far came to Concordia St. Paul.
After that, eight of the original Top 10 teams from the preseason rankings remain in the Top 10, just in a different order. That’s because those teams lost to other Top-10 teams, so there was no need to remove them from the Top 10.
Teams like Central Missouri, Colorado School of Mines and Cal State San Bernardino held fairly steady, all remaining somewhere between Nos. 11-15. These are teams with one or two losses to teams inside the Top 10.
One more big mover was Western Washington, which comes in at No. 14 this week after missing out on the preseason rankings. The team’s only loss so far has come to Juanita, a Top-10 squad.
Others new to the Top 25 this week features Rockhurst, Central Oklahoma, Point Loma and Chaminade.
The Top 25
- Ferris State (8-0) (17 preseason ranking)
- Southwest Minnesota State (6-1) (2)
- South Carolina-Aiken (7-0) (n/r)
- Washburn (8-0) (14)
- Minnesota-Duluth (7-1) (4)
- Concordia-St. Paul (5-2)
- Winona State (6-1) (n/r)
- Tampa (5-3) (3)
- Palm Beach Atlantic (5-2) (9)
- Wheeling Jesuit (5-3) (8)
- Colorado Mines (6-2) (10)
- Central Missouri (8-1) (15)
- Cal State San Bernardino (7-1) (16)
- Western Washington (6-0) (others)
- Florida Southern (8-0) (20)
- Alaska Anchorage (8-0) (25)
- Rockhurst (7-1) (others)
- Wayne State (Neb) (7-1) (5)
- Nebraska-Kearney (7-2) (7)
- West Florida (6-2) (n/r)
- Central Oklahoma (8-1) (others)
- Central Washington (4-3) (n/r)
- Point Loma (5-3) (others)
- Chaminade (7-1) (n/r)
- Wingate (8-1) (13)
- BYU Hawaii
- Hawaii Pacific
- Sonoma State
- West Texas A&M
- UC San Diego
- Cal State Los Angeles